Personal Learning Environment
School: View Park CHS Local District: 3
Principal: Dr. Patricia Lyons Phone: (323) 292~0331
School Contact Person: Patricia Lyons, Principal Phone: (323) 292-0331
Date Electronically Submitted to Local District: __________
CONTEXT FOR REFORM
Our Common Vision Is:
View Park Continuation High School is a Personalized Learning Environment which
ensures that students reach their greatest potential in a "college-going culture" and a
"college-incentive culture" by participating in the Los Angeles Unified School District's
Options Program. Based upon our research and school data, our school will provide a
Personalized Learning Environment (PLE) that will lead to higher expectations for student
success by ensuring that all students receive culturally-relevant, standards-based
instruction, in a supportive/caring learning environment. Through research based programs,
students will be challenged via rigorous A-G requirements. Knowledge will be acquired
through additional enhancement programs that will meet or exceed standards in all content
• Students will participate in a multi-faceted guidance and support service that is a
structured/character education program designed to heighten student
awareness, leadership, service to others and improved academic performance.
• Students will be prepared to participate in a competitive global society using
multiple learning approaches that inculcate diversity.
• Students will be provided with continuous collaboration in a Personalized Data-Driven
Learning Community which includes the utilization of an Individualized
Educational Culmination Plan IECP).
• Students will participate in the acquisition of knowledge by using the Moodie,
Google docs (document sharing, online assessments and grading and online
assessments of student writing). The school also uses Microsoft Office, View
Parks' student and parent school website, student emails, VoiceSMS and
Connect-ed. Research-Based Assessment Strategies and academically enriched
outside vendor resources and partnerships.
• Students and their parents will be able to identify their deficiencies by having
access to personalized data for personal involvement in the data analysis process (API/AYP/CST/Cat- 6/Grades/Periodic Assessments Indexes and CAHSEE).
Dr. P Lyons 1/20/11 4:39 PM
• Students will be taught how to read and interpret the acronyms in meeting
Annual Performance Benchmarks.
• Students will gain exposure to the curriculum through hands-on experiences via
curricular field trips pre-empted by pre and post activities.
• The View Park Learning Community will embellish school-wide efforts and policies that foster health, wellness and safety.
Leadership Development: Principal and Leadership Team
View Park Continuation High School will garner second order change. Second Order Change
is defined as rebuilding relationships, celebrating common core beliefs and values as well as
what is right within the school environment and community culture. The Principal will expedite
change by becoming the change agent and developing plans that create a moving, learning,
enriched environment for the creation of an interactive community of practice '(Michael Fullan,
Students, teachers and parents will be held accountable by the Leadership Team in
developing and creating a culture of change. The Leadership Team is currently developing
PLE Plans for identified SELS, ELL's, M's and the Gifted student. A review of the data has
identified the specific needs of each sub group for inclusion in the PLE.
The African American students will become proficient or advanced in ELA and Mathematics
There will be advanced scores for the Hispanic or Latino population followed by proficiency in
ELA's for English Language Learners with continuous school wide gains in meeting yearly
Performance Benchmarks for State and Federal Mandates of the No Child Left Behind Act.
• Key elements for future change are coherence, connectedness, synergy, alignment and the capacity for continual improvement and accountability.
• Effectiveness in meeting this challenge includes the importance of teaching skills, classroom climate and environment, professional characteristics, high expectations, a passion for improvement,
accountability and Team Work.
• The Principal will function as the relationship-centered leader of change and will provide
research-based information in improving the school's culture as well as sharing the leadership role, parental involvement, expanding the learning capacities of teachers, the staff and students for
• The School Structure is one of a Modified Block Schedule with 9 periods.
• The curriculum has an A through G courses, and Course Electives for the Advanced and Struggling student.
• Algebra Workshops are provided for parents and students for optimum understanding of the
Mathematics and English components of the programs.
• There is access to multiple counseling programs, A-G Initiatives, Personal Academic counseling and AB1802 mandates.
Dr. P Lyons 1/20/11 4:39 PM
• The Specialized Leaming Environment will include the following Initiatives:
LAUSD Initiatives: Student Attendance Plan
College Ready Plan
No Child Left Behind Act
Superintendent's 5 Guiding Principles
Standards Based Instruction
Individualized Transition Program
AB347, AB825, CAHSEE
Extended Learning Programs
Career Transition and Career Technology Education for the Workforce
Adult Education Programs, Character Education Program and Right Counseling Program
School Size and School Choice
View Park High School is a 9-12 High School with a "college incentive" focus. The instructional
day is 360 minutes. The school provides services for approximately 100 students with an
ethnic population of approximately 40% Hispanic or Latino, 60% African American, 0% Filipino
and 0% AI/Alaskan. Ninety-nine percent of the students receive free/reduced price meals. The
English Language Learners (ELLs) participates in a English Immersion Program. Students enrolled in the Special Education component only receive Resource Services (0.04%). The English Language
Learners are provided with supplemental instruction in English Language Arts and
Mathematics. Additional services and tutorial programs are utilized in meeting the needs of all
under performing students scoring below the twentieth percentile. The Academic Mastery
Program (CRRE), High Point, Into English, Beyond the Bell, mobile computers as well as an
Intense instructional tool in Mathematics will support students as they are engaged in learning.
Students are required to read 20 minutes, 3 times per week using graphic organizers for the
materials read. The teacher uses a rubric assessment as a check and balance system with
rewards for students in compliance with the Reading assignments. There is a School to Home
Compact that explains the process and the parental/student participation factors.
Teaching and Learning
Professional Development to Support Academic Achievement
The View Park Personalized Learning Environment will include a School Wide Learning Plan
using data to ignite change for advanced and struggling students. Data will be utilized as a tool
for targeted assistance in determining student achievement and performance based upon the
content standards. The process will be continuously monitored for desired outcomes. The use
of a systematic approach using periodic assessments, MyData Website, tests and their
outcomes will provide student's, parents and teachers with up-to-date information in terms of
the learning deficiencies/strands. Students will be educated and taught maximization of time at
school and at home. Students will be taught how to focus on their individualized academic and
social learning needs in reaching and meeting academic learning goals, Additional factor are
the use of:
Dr. P Lyons 1/20/11 4:39 PM
• school size and school choice,
• teaching and learning
professional development to support academic achievement,
• the creation of deep and lasting relationships between students and faculty,
• the development of transitions that lead students seamlessly from high school to
college and beyond
• the provision of measurable educational outcomes based on a variety of data.
Dr. P Lyons 1120111 4:39 PM